How to Choose the Right Pilates Instructor in Hammersmith
Aggiornato il: 20 nov 2018
Even though you may have only heard of it relatively recently, Pilates has now been around for nearly a century. In that time a great many people have set up Pilates studios to offer lessons and these days you'll also find group classes offered at your local gym/community centre/village hall as well. This does mean that choosing the right Pilates instructor Hammersmith for you can seem like a bit of a daunting task. But the fact is that it does not have to be.
Pilates Basics You Should Know
If you are brand new to the world of Pilates before you start seeking out the right instructor/classes there are a few basics you should know.
1. Pilates is pronounced “Pi-lah-tees” and not “Pie-lates.”
2. Pilates was actually by its creator, a man named Joseph Pilates, a German athlete and movement visionary who trained athletes, dancers and the layperson in the late 1920s to 1960s.
3. All of the first Pilates sessions were private sessions. Pilates was not a fan of group classes and so he never taught any.
4. Joseph Pilates was very creative and built unique equipment for specific purposes and sometimes even for a specific client. But his original work was all on the floor. This is now referred to as “Mat work.”
5. Pilates developed a system—a ‘method’ of unique exercises to be done in a specific order for a specific purpose. That purpose, very fundamentally, was to promote spinal flexibility as well as core strength, so you have a powerful centre from which to move. “If your spine is stiff at 30,” Pilates said, “you are old. If it is flexible at 60, you are young.”
6. A Pilates session can be a vigorous work out, but it is also a corrective exercise! Joe Pilates called his own work Contrology and said, “Contrology develops the body uniformly, corrects wrong postures, restores physical vitality, invigorates the mind, and elevates the spirit
7. Pilates is a form of exercise that can be customized for everyone. It is NOT one size fits all, another reason Pilates himself was no fan of the idea of group class Pilates.
So, are you ready to begin your search for the right Pilates instruction for you? Here are some pointers to help you.
1. Start with ‘classical’ or ‘traditional’ Pilates! This is the original work/method from which all the other Pilates schools and fusion classes borrow and transmute. The studio and/or teacher bios will reflect ‘Classical’ in their description.
2. Pay attention to the intake process. Did you complete an intake form where you notated both your possible injuries, condition and personal goals? Did your teacher talk to you about your “stuff.” Do you think he/she listened?
Many people who start taking classes with a Pilates instructor Hammersmith are doing so because of old injuries or health conditions and have been advised by their medical professionals that Pilates is a good idea. And so the best Pilates instructor Hammersmith will always be interested in a student's medical history so that they can tailor the sessions to best suit them.
3. Do privates lessons first! Gift yourself a few. Group classes are fine - and can even be fun - but the extra 1 on 1 attention you can get during privates classes with a Pilates instructor Fulham really are the best way for a newbie to get started.
Do you like the vibe in the studio? Do you like your teacher? Experiment with different teachers and don’t be precious. Different teachers will language things differently or use touch or imagery or make a new adjustment to help you. All worthwhile!
4. Be a beginner! We all have egos and we all like to be good at things but as with everything, there is a learning curve in Pilates. So, wherever you are is perfect. Could you walk on day one after you were born? Or ride a bike as soon as you unwrapped your first one at Christmas as a toddler? We doubt it very much!
8. Lastly, be proud of yourself for trying something new. Perhaps it’s scary or intimidating, but you are not going to let that inner critic best you? Of course you aren't. And if you have made the right choice of Pilates instructor Hammersmith they won't let you do that either.
Image Source: bfyblogs.com